Saturday, September 1, 2012

What would be a good mixture for my flower container plants


What would be a good mixture for my flower container plants.?
At the moment i am using 50% coco peat 25% sand and 25% clay.{where i live in Vietnam i cant get other ingredients]. Is this about right or would some one with more experience advise better, and i also mix in some fertilizer pellets.
Garden & Landscape - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Hello Happy We here in the Philippines either order garden soil or use palay husk and lumber saw dust. Many nurseries uses palay husks since this are cheaper and lighter to transport. In your recent questions you have been insinuating use of coco by-products as potting materials. I have been also using finely chopped coconut husks for my anthuriums and some of my bromeliads. But I add decompose animal manure (hog and chicken since these are available here in my place) in this potting materials. My plants appear healthy and my anthuriums blooming. In your case, since according to you you do not have any choice but to use your mixture and uses fertilizers as side dressing, that would be alright. Only be sure that your sand came from rivers and not from the sea shore where there will be salt mixed with the sand. When the coco peat starts to decompose that will add organic materials to your medium. I hope I have been of help.





Read more discussions :