Friday, September 21, 2012

How long does my cat need to be on Urinary diet food


How long does my cat need to be on Urinary diet food?
My cat has stones in his bladder and I was told he had to eat a special urinary biscuit food. Now I live in Vietnam so the communication is not so good. He said the cat had to eat it forever. But on the packet it says 5- 12 weeks or up to 6 months. Anyone had a similar diagnosis and what were you told?
Cats - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
If you take him off the diet, he may form new stones. It depends what kind of stones your cat has as to whether he'll be likely to form new ones and if the food will help prevent them. Some stones are caused by bacterial infection and if that's the kind of stones your cat has, the food wouldn't be helpful long-term. I suppose you have two options. You can keep him on it for several months and then take him off and see if the stones come back. Or you can see if you can catch a stone and if the vet can analyze it for you to see what the future is likely to be like.
2 :
My cat has had stones and is on urinary diet food too... My vet (here in the USA) told me that the cat would have to be on that food forever, unless I wanted to risk him developing stones again. So, he's been eating it for about 18 months now (and doesn't have anymore stones).





Read more discussions :