Friday, September 7, 2012

I need to interview someone who lived during the Vietnam War. Anyone willing to help


I need to interview someone who lived during the Vietnam War. Anyone willing to help?
Hello. In my high school project, I have to interview a person who lived during the Vietnam War, but wasn't a veteran. I'd appreciate any answers from people who lived in that time. 1. What is your name? 2. What were your views on the war? 3. What was it like when the veterans returned? 4. Do you think the veterans deserved to be treated the way they were treated? 5. Any closing comments? Thank you for your help! :)
History - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
FInd a local old folks home and request for them to find people who are willing to help you out. I know most of them would love a visitor. You could help yourself and so many others that way.
2 :
Okay...here goes.... 1. What is your name? Gerald Cline 2. What were your views on the war? I supported the Truman Doctrine of containment. Vietnam was where the rubber hit the road in the 60s and early 70s. The place where Communism was being contained. I therefore supported the American effort in Vietnam. 3. What was it like when the veterans returned? I enlisted in the US Air Force in 1968 when the moderate wing of the liberal Democrats were still in charge. By the time I got home from Vietnam in 1970 Nixon had taken over, all the moderate/liberal Democrats had become born-again radical antiwar protesters, and I was spit on and called a baby-killer by the very people who had gotten us into the war to begin with. And yes, among other things I was actually involved in a spitting incident, so don't let the liberal revisionist historians tell you it never happened. I was there.... 4. Do you think the veterans deserved to be treated the way they were treated? No...and I'm still bitter about it. 5. Any closing comments? In the end the Communist overran all of what had once been Indochina. In the wake of their victory they murdered something in the neighborhood of 5,000,000 Southeast Asians consolidating their victory. Millions more were imprisoned and/or forced to flee. My reason for fighting against the Communists in Vietnam was to avoid this blood-bath I was sure would happen if they won. I was right, and do not feel like apologizing to anyone for my service at this time or place.
3 :
I remember most vividly hearing the nightly news proclaim "53 American solders were killed in the line of duty yesterday with Vietcong losses totaling more than 800" Even then as a small boy something didn't seem right about the disparage in the numbers. I was a senior in high school before I found out what I suspected then-that the number were total fantasy-just like everything else in the war. sp




Read more discussions :